Earlier this week, I attended a seminar put on by my children's school district entitled Hope With Autism. The speaker was a counselor in private practice who works with kids on the autism spectrum.

I was excited to listen to him, to learn from his wisdom and experience, and to be inspired. I brought a notebook and several pens to jot down the important points I wanted to remember. He had a PowerPoint presentation, and while many cringe at them, I have a bit of glee when they are used because I am a serious, detailed note-taker, and they help me in my endeavor to ensure I get every single point recorded.

Early in the talk, a slide listed "symptoms" of autism. I could not focus on anything else on the slide beyond the word "symptoms." Symptoms. I could not stop staring at it! The word made my stomach hurt. Its implication is nothing but negative.

Look it up online; this is what comes up (I bolded a few words for emphasis.).:
  • a physical or mental feature that is regarded as indicating a condition of disease, particularly such a feature that is apparent to the patient.
  • a sign of the existence of something, especially of an undesirable situation.

I was hurt. I was offended. I was even a tad bit angry.

My sons are not sick! They do not have a disease! And while we have challenges every single day, I do not think of their diagnoses as an undesirable situation. Truly, I do not! They are who they were designed to be, and I adore them!

This does not mean that I don't do everything I can to give them tools to be successful in this society. This does not mean that I don't have days of frustration or sadness. I do. I am human.

BUT-I love the way their brains work and the way they view the world. I love their spirits, their perspectives, their humor, their insights, their absolute uniqueness.

I stewed as I stared at the slide. All these thoughts and more went through my mind as I stared at the word, and then, I had a thought of clarity and became instantly calm.

'He is here to help, Brandie! He had no intention of upsetting anyone, and instead of vilifying him over the use of one carelessly used word, do something!'

Obviously, I wasn't going to interrupt the presentation, so I jotted down a note to myself and then decided to give him my full, open-minded attention.

Well, later in his presentation, he showed a clip from Autism Speaks and also referred to them as a great resource to the families in the room.

Again, I was disappointed, but I talked to myself. Like so many others, he was probably unaware of the dissatisfaction so many have for the organization. After all, I have only been educated and convinced about the negative impact AS has on the ASD community in the last year.

I made another note for myself.

I listened to the rest of the presentation and concentrated on being a positive and supportive face in the crowd for him. Reminding myself that he was here as a positive resource for the audience members and that he meant no harm by the things that had offended me helped me do so.

Still, I knew that if I was truly wanting to affect change, I would have to, somehow, share my concerns with him.

When he finished, I looked for an opportunity. I saw none. I was not looking for a confrontation or to have anyone else hear what I said, feeling like that would be incredibly rude. I saw no way to speak to him privately, so I left.

I found myself thinking about my concerns all night long and immediately when I woke up the next morning. At work, it was gnawing on me. I considered letting it go, not wanting to be confrontational.

Then, I thought of my boys. Fear of confrontation should never keep me from speaking up on their behalf!

I decided to e-mail him.

I knew that I wanted to be helpful, not hurtful. I knew that I wanted my message to be welcomed, not shunned. I knew that I needed to offer solutions, not complaints.

I expressed my feelings and gave him some alternative words and resources to consider in the future. I explained that I did not want to offend and was coming from a place of genuine desire to help. I also thanked him for his work with kids like mine.

I hit send. I hoped it would be received well, but whether it was or not, I knew I had done what I felt was right. I had advocated for my children and all children and adults like them.

Ninety minutes later, he responded. He was gracious, apologetic, and open to my information and suggestions. He thanked me for my kind words. In short, he was wonderful, and I was grateful.

I am so glad that I did what my children deserve. I spoke up for them when they couldn't.

Please, remember that advocating often goes beyond the classroom or the IEP meeting room walls. Please, also remember that very often, the people you want to educate are coming from a place of good intentions. Treat them as such. You may be pleasantly surprised how willing they are to listen.

Comments

12/24/2015 2:22pm

Everything can be got from family. It is the most important gift of God for all of us that He has blessed us with family which is full of lovely people.

03/25/2016 5:35am

Epidermis. If a person suffers from pimples, here are some choices you may want to consider. Visit your regional skin specialist or other med spa center under the concern of a healthcare professional and healthier epidermis excellent care professional. Ask them about healthier epidermis maintenance systems available for your particular type of epidermis. Most physicians specializing in healthier epidermis Halocel

03/26/2016 2:10am

Pull-ups - The premier back-widening perform out is the humble wide-grip pull-up. This is not some fancy, new age performing out. This has existed prior to anyone young enough to be reading this was born. It's also a difficult and awkward perform

03/28/2016 1:52am

Foods are so anabolic that it can even develop solid muscle cells regardless if you strength train or not! Think I've lost my marbles and that I'm complete of BS? I'm not and I'll prove it to you... Just go out in public and take a look around. You'll see many

03/29/2016 1:33am

You can choose your own standard, think of one with assistance from a companion or the most ideal path is to utilize a fitness coach that knows about what schedules work for picking up muscles. Whatever way you choose to think of your activity schedule, the key is to start immediately and to likewise change your dietary

03/30/2016 1:45am

That this kind is a thin human body with and very easily procedure a very low appetite. With this combination of actions, it becomes very clear why our body is in the design that it is. If you consume very little meals, yet your metabolic rate is going

03/31/2016 2:20am

Sensible option for muscle building exercises for the reason that execute out several parts of your human body at once. Barbell exercises concentrate on muscle isolation for development. While it is effective, you are limited by time. Kettle bell exercises

04/02/2016 1:43am

Within an extensive variety of forms for intake as a sports complement, with a huge majority being available within a powdered form and which is normally consumed within the form of a drink or shake. What one has to realize when mixing this

04/04/2016 1:41am

Hormones) They were first developed and introduced in the s as a treatment for hypogonadism, a condition in which the testes are not producing sufficient testosterone, thus hindering growth, growth, and sexual functions However,

04/05/2016 1:03am

Developing exercises To start sculpting the muscle tissue there are very easy exercises that can help you as well Bench media the go and chin ups are among the basic exercises that can perform up different muscle tissue within your whole body

04/06/2016 1:06am

Set of genetics body weight their metabolic kinds heavily towards the consumption of fat However if you or I were to try to live off the diet strategy plan we would have serious health complications very easily our metabolisms just wouldn't be able to

will this be your final calling or should i register it again. I also want to know How can i save or download the images. Few are having 404 error. Anyways, Civil wars jackets is awesome.

04/14/2016 2:27am

Carbohydrate meals get used over a period & thus keep you with a nice quantity of power till your next meal. The protean in the liver organ allows you create muscle, and the in excellent wellness body fat (nuts, dehydrogenated oils, etc.) remain and testosterone operating nicely. There's no need to be excessively anal about these

04/28/2016 2:34am

With the best and to audio the best so I'm going to do two things: the primary factor I'm going to do is that’s when I provide you with a little plan a what purpose if Maastricht decades you know what truly is soaked condition what are we trying to fulfill on the causes that as the old saying goes you can't win a activation that you don’t understand and by a lengthy taken most usually don't see even what my string is see what do we to

04/29/2016 3:15am

Perfect Garcinia Cambogia know Having a sec mark track 64 ounces of water day are Which is a half gallon whos recommend now I think access water tank ax water intake is amazing for you another know if you ask me is it brought` the issue are people dying for Having too much water and not search marine weeks to really rare cases an R & R few and far between so if you're Worried About Having too much water something happen health-wise it you can hi something like that do not worry about it as a good rule of thumb you can never have too much water and too much any Aussie anything is bad for you I mean I think and knows cases did

Tary 1938
04/30/2016 3:17am

Bellaplex maybe it might get I don't know that I'm yeah it right now we're going to happen to me you know may not it okay many factions bright got me again the origin and clear improvement act active charcoal Matt to clear course yellow I can't for you may have bought this for Tyler he didn't know that and I have over me too he had a big kid who

Unpled 42
05/03/2016 1:43am

Perfect Garcinia Cambogia absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever on and Were Usually again consuming them in conjunction with something else we do not know just you Have a meal up soda I Were Having the soda in conjunction with our meal Which is Its Own deal on but soda is a lot of excess calories whatsoever on no nutritional density and Contributing to really gain weight if you can Realized

Saut 1984
05/04/2016 1:55am

Bellaplex up getting peppers and green peppers red peppers ill numbers come up this is Mark Toner bag yeah like that way offers so it you're good now it is about 13 are done now well hearing that way what you like what you want for your car we'll hear much trouble gastric your to check out alright Kristal what you want when it comes out three-year I know my play and you right now 35 around arms ok I perform

Boll 1969
05/05/2016 1:31am

premium cleansereach %uh skin your pinkies towards each other so that you keep that links between your ears and your shoulders take one last breath in may be fatal to lower it here lunge and then tax help let your hands around your right foot make sure your palms are strong step your right foot back to me you left your back plank pose in heel here and then exhale lower down to chat around all the

05/06/2016 1:30am

Bellaplex free kisses just because we were meet take over here you know in yeah so just let me know you do any you just me it us volunteer two states in eighteen years intended backpacker on Athens crimes for you guys diet specifically as well always gentle speaker just school it you know concerning the amount of aren't here and you lead for Bangalore if you don't have electable maturity and is for you to send them

05/07/2016 1:29am

premium cleanse of different sources and honey is actually a really great source for protein people who have allergies or sinus congestion hay fever things like that have also reported that their allergy significantly improve when they begin eating raw local honey and there's a lot of reasons behind that but in general honey is known to help with information and other problems like that because allergies so this is a great one not

05/16/2016 3:39am

I've made $64,000 so far this year w0rking 0nline and I'm a full time student. I'm using an 0nline business opportunity I heard about and I've made such great m0ney. It's really user friendly and I'm just so happy that I found out aboutit. Here’s what I've beendoing…

04/10/2017 1:28pm

axesjeses45@gmail.comaxesjeses45@gmail.comaxesjeses45@gmail.com

04/10/2017 1:29pm

Brain Ammo Advantage of these supplements. On cerebrum wellbeing clear So clear is the effect of DHA that Doctors have started prescribing that nursing moms take supplements of this fixing particularly since the essential hotspot for this is fish which most pregnant and nursing moms keep away from because of the .

07/02/2017 1:12pm

Femme Youth Relationship Provestra ladies' moxie sponsor supplements can be worthwhile. How do common supplements for the female sexual orientations drive work? These Provestra supplements are commonly .

www.xaddition.net/femme-youth